Friday, August 10, 2007

'Mr Manchester' Tony Wilson dies today



You don't need the Skull Kontrol blog for news this big. Tony Wilson (left), the man behind Factory Records has passed away after a long fight with cancer. He launched the careers of Joy Division, Happy Mondays, New Order, A Certain Ratio, Durutti Column, Section 25 and so many more. He was a life long Manchester United supporter and the catalyst for several musical renaissances, not only in Manchester but in Britain as well. Blah blah blah. I have been in love with this guy since I first read about Factory Records many years ago. He was a true visionary; cocky for all the right reasons. I am very happy to had been able to see him introduce Happy Mondays at Coachella last year. I was awe-struck. He was kinda like a third or fourth father to me.

No comments: