Sunday, September 9, 2007

Art Fag update and shit: Rough Trade Records

One of my inspirations and influences in regards to my starting Art Fag Recordings was Rough Trade Records. Some of my favorite records were released on this label and the diversity is something I will always strive for. From Stiff Little Fingers to The Libertines, and Young Marble Giants, Raincoats and Television Personalities in between, there was a mix of music and bands unparalleled by any label before or since. Oh, yeah don't forget about those others...The Smiths and The Strokes. The Fall? You get the picture. Or do you?





That being said, I'm happy to give a little peek into Art Fag's plans. Set for a 2008 release date, Art Fag will be releasing a record in tribute to Rough Trade. Interpretations of Rough Trade songs by (so far) the likes of The Prayers, NO AGE, Mika Miko, Chromatics, Glass Candy, The Vultures, Kill Me Tomorrow and The Muslims. Look forward to many, many more bands to be added. I don't plan on talking about this too much in the next coming months, I just couldn't contain my excitement. So there's your sneak peek. Look forward to a great record.







Here's a funny little history of Rough Trade set to a song by Jeffrey Lewis:




Rough Trade Records Wikipedia entry


Rough Trade official site





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's pretty fucking exciting

??? said...

Such a good idea - I can't wait!!!

Mike said...

Rough Trade are definitely one of the best labels, without a doubt, paving the way for a whole new class of record label. A couple other contemporaries worth mentioning, just for their sheer ingenuity, Modular, Sub Pop, Death By Audio and of course Art Fag. Together this handful of labels have shaped the current musical landscape, imposing pristine quality control and in turn flooding the world with amazing new music.

I imagine Art Fag's tribute album will be fantastic!