Thursday, April 3, 2008

Classic Joint

I can't stress how into LA rap circa 88/89 I am right now. If I looked nice in a ballcap I'd probably don one of those nice LA Raiders ones. Or LA Kings. Ice-T, N.W.A, D.O.C., AMG, DJ Quik. Shit. I wanted to post the video for Ice's "Colors" video because it's my favorite song of his, but the video sucks and he gets all anti gang in it. Like stuff that's not on the record. I hate that anti gang stuff. Anyway I decided on "You Played Yourself. 1989. Fuuuuck. It's so good.


Ice-T "You Played Yourself"









1 comment:

Stampone said...

Ah, yes. Such a rich era, that "Gangsta-Blows-Up" time in late 80s LA.
I remain particularly fond of Eazy-E's debut alb, his one great full-length (now, undoudtedly, underrated), back when he was in comprehensive cahoots w/ the NWA crew (and that means rhyme-writing); still, it was E's delivery that makes it, and the way he delivers such brilliance as this snatch o' lyric, form "Nobody Move":

I'm in a bank, and it's a little bit funny/
takin all you stupid motherfuckers' money/
Peepin at a bitch cause my dick's on hard/
Laughin at the dumb ass security guard/
who's tied up for the moment, not sayin' a word/
I should have known it before, the motherfucker's a nerd/
But back to the bitches I'm peepin/
and then untie the hoe, so I can start creepin/
Took her to the backroom, about to jack/
Cold trailed the bitch, with a gun in the back/
I said: "Lay down, and unbutton your bra!"/
There was the biggest titties that a nigga ever saw/
I said: "Damn", then the air got thinner/
Only thought in my mind, was goin' up in her/
The suspense was makin' me sick/
She took her panties down and the bitch had a dick!/
I said: "Damn", dropped the gat from my hand/
(What I thought was a bitch, was nothing but a man)/

Pure poetry!

D*