Monday, June 16, 2008

NEW(ISH) BAND ALERT - HORNET LEG

So last night Crocs opened up for New Bloods (who ruled). We knew they were on tour with a band called Hornet Leg, but being the stupid, lazy sack of dog-turds that I am, I didn't pre-show check them out. When they rolled into the Casbah, I was surprised to see Chris Sutton. Don't know who he is? He play(ed)s in a slew of Pacific Northwest bands, por ejemplo Dub Narcotic Soundsystem, C.O.C.O., etc. He's also now the Gossip's touring bassist. Anywhoooo, me and Chazzie have known him for a while through our old band playing some shows with C.O.C.O, though I hadn't seen him for a few years. I was stoked that he was at the show, but I was even more stoked to see that he was playing. Hornet Leg is his solo project that he's been doing for the last couple of years. When they hit the stage last night, I knew 10 seconds into it that it was going to be perfect. Minimal, stripped-down garage, without falling into the "minimal, stripped-down garage"-cliche. Mine ears heard hints of the Ramones, Vaselines and even weird bits of Spacemen 3 and stuff like that. Me thinks: PERFECT.








No comments: